Sunday, May 31, 2015

Munchausen (1781) - part 8



(Pic source)

8) Once when I was an officer in the Hussars, I took part in a hot skirmish. Afterwards I rode towards a village and came to a little stream. I was about to ride over it, but my horse wanted a drink and I let him have his way. I was lost in thought for a long time, but when I was ready to ride on I was astonished to see that the stream had disappeared. I heard a noise and looked about to find that the water was now behind me; and I saw at the same time that my horse had been shot in half during the conflict, and that while he was drinking all the water had flowed back out of him. My horse hadn’t noticed his own injury in the heat of battle; I quickly returned to the scene before it got too cold, and soon found the other half. I tore off young willow branches and used them to reattach the two halves; some twigs grew and bound themselves inextricably with the horse, others shot up and intertwined above, and made an arbour, which ever afterwards gave me cover and shade while riding. The horse died long ago.
__________________________________
Original:

8) Wie ich noch als Husarenoffizier diente, war ich eins Tages in einem hitzigen Treffen. Nach dessen Ende ritt ich nach einem Dorfe zu, und kam an einen kleinen Fluß. Ich wollte durchreiten, allein mein Pferd zeigte Lust zum Trinken, und ich ließ ihm seinen Willen. Nach langer Zeit, binnen welcher ich in Gedanken gewesen war, wollt ich weiter reiten, und sah mit Erstaunen den Fluß vor mir verschwunden. Ich sah auf ein Geräusch mich um, und fand das Wasser itzt hinter mir; und sah zugleich, daß [97] mein Pferd in der Schlacht war mitten von einander geschossen worden, und daß itzt beym Saufen alles Wasser hinten wieder von ihm ausgeloffen war. Mein Pferd hatte seine Wunde in der Hitze selbst nicht gemerkt; ich kehrte nun schnell zurük, um es nicht ganz kalt werden zu lassen, und fand auch bald die andere dazu gehörige Hälfte. Junge Weidenbäume, die ich ausriß, halfen mir beide Theile gut zusammenfügen; einige Zweige davon verwuchsen mit dem Pferde, die andern schossen in die Höhe, und krümten sich von selbst oben zusammen, und machten eine Laube, die mir beym Reiten hernach immer Bedeckung und Schatten gab. Das Pferd ist itzt gestorben.


READER: PLEASE CLICK THE REACTION BELOW - THANKS!

All original material is copyright of its author. Fair use permitted. Contact via comment. Unless indicated otherwise, all internet links accessed at time of writing. Nothing here should be taken as personal advice, financial or otherwise. No liability is accepted for third-party content, whether incorporated in or linked to this blog; or for unintentional error and inaccuracy. The blog author may have, or intend to change, a personal position in any stock or other kind of investment mentioned.

No comments: