Friday, March 19, 2021

FRIDAY MUSIC: Mark Knopfler, by JD

 Mark Knopfler is probably best known for the Dire Straits record called 'Sultans of Swing' but there is much, much more to his musical output than that very melodic and memorable song. A song which has an amusing back-story as Knopfler explains -"The lyrics were inspired by a performance of a jazz band playing in the corner of an almost empty pub in Deptford, South London. At the end of their performance, the lead singer announced their name, the Sultans of Swing; Knopfler found the contrast between the group's dowdy appearance and surroundings and their grandiose name amusing."

His Wiki entry lists his 'style' as being Rock, roots rock (Whatever that is), Celtic rock (actually more Celtic than rock), blues rock, country rock. I'm not sure why Wiki feels the need to add 'rock' to everything.om that it is a fair assessment of the music he has produced in his solo career.







6 comments:

Man Beach said...

I first heard 'Sultans of Swing' in 1977 on Charlie Gillett's 'Honky Tonk' radio programme on BBC Radio London. Fortunately it was repeated the following Sunday and I had my cassette recorder ready.
I saw Dire Straits (along with a number of other class bands) at the free concert on Clapham Common later that year.
I'd probably consider Communique to be my favourite Dire Straits album. As far as Mark Knopfler is concerned, I only regularly listen to two of his albums - Sailing to Philadelphia and Local Hero. Can't really be bothered with the others which I once owned - sold them on ebay.

Scrobs. said...

Spot on, Man Beach!

'Ragpicker's dream' is OK too, but I wasn't enthralled by Privateering...

The man has eight fingers on his left hand - not a lot of people know that...

;0)

Nick Drew said...

Ah Charlie Gillet!

Remember also Fresh Garbage with Andy Finney and Jenny Lacey, another fine radio prog of a Sunday evening

(with a curious leftie agitprop slot of a couple of minutes each week (despite (!) being the Beeb): but this was the era of Oz, Frendz, IT)

takes me back ...

CherryPie said...

I have a special memory of hearing Eric Clapton performing with him live on stage with Mark Knopfler.

Scrobs. said...

Nick, I hope you mean this track...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7MQ5rxUZsc&ab_channel=SanFranciscoSound

Probably my favourite track of 1969 (on a compilation album, 'The Rock Machine turns you on)!

Sackerson said...

@Scrobs - one of my favourites, too!