Saturday, May 30, 2015

Munchausen (1781) - part 7


(Pic source)

7) One day when I was out hunting I’d run completely out of ammunition, when suddenly I came across a magnificent stag, who stood quite calmly in front of me, as if he knew my difficulty. I quickly loaded with powder, sucked the flesh off a lot of cherry stones, which I put in on top, and shot the deer right in the forehead. He recoiled but ran off immediately. A year later I went into the same forest, and met a stag whose brow sported a cherry tree with leaves and beautiful blossoms. I recognised my prey at once; and this time he didn’t get away.

__________________________________________
Original:

Einmal auf der Jagd hatt’ ich mich an Schroot schon ganz verschossen; und da find ich noch einen stattlichen Hirschen, der so still mir gerade gegenüber steht, als wenn er meinen Mangel wüßte. Ich lade geschwinde mit Pulver, und setze eine Menge Kirschkerne, wovon ich schnell das Fleisch absauge, droben auf, und schieße den Hirschen gerade vor die Stirne. Er prellt zurük, aber entkömmt mir bald. Ein Jahr nachher geh’ ich im selben Walde, und da kömmt mir ein Hirsch entgegen, aus dessen Stirne ein Kirschbaum mit Blättern und schöner Blüthe hervorsteht. Ich erkenne sogleich mein Eigenthum; und dießmal entkam er mir nicht mehr.


READER: PLEASE CLICK THE REACTION BELOW - THANKS!

All original material is copyright of its author. Fair use permitted. Contact via comment. Unless indicated otherwise, all internet links accessed at time of writing. Nothing here should be taken as personal advice, financial or otherwise. No liability is accepted for third-party content, whether incorporated in or linked to this blog; or for unintentional error and inaccuracy. The blog author may have, or intend to change, a personal position in any stock or other kind of investment mentioned.

No comments: