Saturday, November 24, 2012

Political Correctness: a straw in the wind

I deal with primary age children who are excluded from mainstream school. They have a variety of problems and we do the best we can to straighten them out. Without humour, we'd go under.

Currently we have a student social worker who comes in weekly for the experience. I told her the old joke, "How many kids with ADHD does it take to change a lightbulb? Ans.: Hey, let's go out and ride our bikes!"

Her mouth gave a small upward twitch and she said, "That shouldn't be funny."

Humour is anarchic and often contains a germ of truth. So it is the first target of the cold forces of repression.

I have been warned.

3 comments:

Paddington said...

"That shouldn't be funny." - but it is.

James Higham said...

You have come up against the same type I came up against last Wednesday. They are utterly humourless and steeped in the narrative.

I've written recent posts about the type. Be careful, Sackers, that is the type who complains behind your back and gets the authorities onside. I speak from bitter experience.

Paddington said...

"It's ADD awareness month"

- the whole month?