Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Roboteacher? That's not how people learn... by Paddington

In my 39 years of professional teaching and even longer coaching the martial arts, I experienced several 'innovations' in teaching, and observed many different styles of teaching, leading to some of the following thoughts:

There is such a thing as talent, whether or not it matches intelligence in academia. You cannot coach talent into someone.

https://www.slideshare.net/esrbk/supervision-and-technology (Slide 9)

Ideas such as 'bug-in-ear' teaching (working from a script and pre-set collection of responses), or the 'flipped classroom' (watching videos at home, then coming to school to work with a teacher on problems) will never beat actual interactive teaching, which is a very human process.

There is a reason why we put the teacher at the front of the room, with the students facing them. They are, relatively speaking, the experts, and do know better. We are also a pecking-order species and respond to authority.

“Those who can't do, teach” is a crass way of expressing a small truth. Very often, those to whom a subject or skill comes naturally very often have no way to communicate that skill to others, because they have not struggled with learning it.

Many of the people that I worked with spent far more time in preparation for lectures than I did, presenting polished material in a clear way. I developed and scribbled on the board, making mistakes as I went. My students often did much better, and I was certainly faster, often completing the full semester of material a couple of week early. Many of my colleagues kept trying to have every student catch up, and ended up boring the accomplished ones, and still not educating the others.

Most of what is taught in Colleges of Education is pedagogy, with the concept that a well-trained teacher can teach anything, including material that they don't know. This is plainly ludicrous.

See also: https://www.teachwire.net/news/scripted-lessons-are-creating-zombie-teachers

2 comments:

Sackerson said...

JD comments:

Paddington's point about well prepared and polished presentation is moot. I would say they are teachers who know their subject but do not understand it. In a non academic, i.e. practical, subject there is an old idea that 'if I tell you how to do it, you will never remember but if I show you how to do it you will never forget' Not everything can be explained using words.

Not sure about struggling to learn make better teachers; I am forever struggling to learn how to paint but I doubt if I would know how to teach the subject. And I'm still struggling, I am sometimes intimidated by my own paintings hanging on the wall.

Paddington said...

The point is that if you struggle and then learn it, you are better prepared to explain it to someone who is themselves struggling.